Saturday, October 20, 2007

Week 6 - Thing 13 - Del.icio.us

Del.icio.us is a social bookmarking tool. I'm definitely learning some new terms doing this Web 2.0 training. I hadn't heard of social bookmarking before. I have had a look around this website and it looks interesting. You can do searches for stuff you are intersted in and get a list of sites bookmarked and tagged by others. You can see how many people have bookmarked the sites giving an indication of its popularity.

To get the best benefits of this site you need to register; then you can save your own bookmarks and access them on any computer. I tried to do this, but it wants to add buttons to your web browser, and since I was using a work computer at the time I decided not to go ahead with this. The site doesn't have buttons set up for adding to Opera, the web browser that I use at home but I did a search and found a site that has made some Opera buttons. Here it is: http://erlang.no/?p=14. I haven't tried them yet, but I'll get it a go at some point.

I think I'll go ahead and start using this site to store some bookmarks. I think I'll mostly just use my normal bookmarks on my browser, but occasionally I do use other peoples computers and it will be useful to have my bookmarks available. So this is another site that I think I will continue to use.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's great you are finding some of the sites really useful - I was stoked to discover del.icio.us, searching through the popular items I've found so many cool sites! ;)