Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Week 5 - Thing 11 - Librarything

I have set up an account at http://www.librarything.com/ and have had a little play around with it.

I think LibraryThing is a good idea; it could be fun to list all your books you own or like, and find online people to discuss them with. I don't really want to share my reading interests with the world at large, but I might share them with my friends. So I am more likely to use one of the similar applications on Facebook rather than LibraryThing.

I didn't like the fact that LibraryThing cost money after the first 200 books. Another thing that I found frustrating was that there is so much variety in the way some of the authors names are entered. For example, I first tried to find books by George R. R. Martin. Depending on whether you put a space between the Rs and/or include the dots, you get different results. Same problem with J.R.R. Tolkien and Raymond E Feist. I guess the moral is don't read books by authors that use initials in their names. :-)
(Can you guess what genre of books I prefer?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess um, Fantasy/Adventure?

I need you to post a link to your actual librarything account to be able to give you credit. It should look like www.librarything.com/catalog/yourusernamehere

Great work on your blog though! You can just post the link by itself and I can credit you for thing 11. My favourite Fiest book is probably Faerie Tale :)